This tutorial is only part of a guide covering the painting process of a Chaos Warrior: Tutorial intro.
1. Basecoat of Codex Grey applied to the cape:
2. The cape is shaded using a mixed wash of Purple ink, Chestnut ink, and Chaos Black.
The wash was thinned with water:
3. 1st highlight with Codex Grey leaving only shading in the deep folds of the cape:
4. 2nd highlight with Bleached bone added to Codex Grey.
I find that the use of Bleached Bone gives a more subtle and interesting hue of grey than by using Skull White:
5. 3rd and final highlight is done by adding more Bleached Bone to the mix and just "edging" the cape with the brush:
The cape as in step 5, but with the rest of the back painted: